April 17, 2013

I'm So Organized

There are rules here, and in my neighborhood we can't have garden sheds. I cruise Pinterest and ogle photos on garden design sites, but all in vain. No outside structures allowed. Rules.
This is what I want but it is not allowed
I want a garden shed for the look, but really, all I need is a place to store pruners and gloves and twist ties and stakes and a tape measure and mini-tarps and scissors and those biodegradable cowpots out of the rain.

It would be nice to store the shovels close by. My potting bench is on this side of the house. The garage is on the other side. I walk back and forth, back and forth.

There are Association Rules and Sacred Bylaws against outside structures, but no rules against patio furniture.

So here is my solution. This is patio furniture:

It's actually a storage bin for garbage cans. The hinged lid lifts. The front doors open. It is made of cedar, and will fade to the same silvery gray as the potting bench and the deck railings. It smells wonderful.

It's perfect for my needs, it sits right near my potting bench, and it is not a structure prohibited by The Bylaws, as long as you and I call it furniture. And no one can see it anyway, sitting here on the patio below the deck.

I am so organized now.

I put cuphooks inside, hung a basket for my gloves, and put a tension rod across the width of the interior, which holds the shovels from sliding about, and allows me to hang some S hooks, a rag and a little bucket for small miscellany.

Below, on the floor there is a bigger bucket and a crate for larger stuff, and a freestanding shelf with slide out drawer. The really big things like the wheelbarrow and garden cart and big bags of potting soil are still kept in the garage.

Go ahead and admire it now, because it will never ever look this neat and tidy again.

But even if the arrangement of everything falls into disarray and becomes the jumble it wants to be, it is still exactly what I need. Everything is at hand, out of the rain, close by my bench, right where I need it.

And it is technically legal.

30 comments:

  1. This is so outstanding...where do I start!!! You took matters into your own hands and now you have a wonderful place to keep all of your tools! Ha! I have a shed but I'm working on a little cupboard for my things because the shed is a bit scary!! Well done...now no more walking back and forth..so stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am shocked that you are not allowed to have outside structures. That is so unfriendly to gardeners. Your solution is a good one - you should feel proud. And I promise that unless you show me pictures to the contrary, I will always assume it looks as neat and organised as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely piece of furniture. :) So neat and tidy too. It looks great. I am sure it is a relief to not have to traipse back and forth when doing an outdoor project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever way of working within the 'rules' to get what you need. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And if anyone complains, toss a few bottles of wine in there and tell them it's your outdoor bar. Great idea and it looks so much better than those Rubbermaid storage bins. I have both a shed and a 24' x 24' garage for one car. Although it's nice to have that much space, when you do have that much space you tend to not be as organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Laurrie...First...you really came up with a fabulous idea instead of the shed. So organized and right by your potting bench...I think this will work great. Now....you sound EXACTLY like me about wanting a garden shed. We are in the country so we don't have "rules" about outside structures (had that in CA..didn't want it here.) I want it to store all my "stuff" because it's so far walking to the barn when I want something. I have mine picked out..it has a little porch and the windows have window boxes. I have to wait until later in the year to get it, but I'm so excited. I'll move my potting bench beside it so all my things will be so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspired idea! Those pesky bylaws- I know them well. We aren't supposed to grow vegetables in our front yard. And yet an unsightly cable box is perfectly acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great solution! It looks like it will work out perfectly too. I hate having to walk a mile every time I need another tool, and you can never think of all of them that you might need at the start of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where there's a will there's a way! Congratulations on using creativity to get exactly what you wanted. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I AM admiring it, very cool, and a great solution to deftly avoid all those rules. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic compromise!

    I, too, pine over a little sheds, one with nice old windows and a little potting bench, but it would probably take up my entire little yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely beautiful - very creative way around the rules. Why ever would someone have made rules like that to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your style! We have pesky rules too and they can be a style cramper but I also like that they force creativity. I'm currently trying to figure out how to create privacy with plants in my front yard that will comply with our restrictions. I'd like to incorporate a trellis/gate too ... that may just be pushing the HOA envelope a little too far :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Love it!!! We won't add any outdoor structures because the property taxing authorities here think every little potting shed is a mini Taj Mahal. So, I have stuff all over the place - in the garage, in the mudroom, inside by the kitchen door, on the back porch, on the front porch, and of course, rusting outside in the garden! Your solution is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Legal on a technicality – I love it. Too, your organization awes. Your, uhh, furniture proves there's more than one way to skin a rule.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, everyone for your admiration of my little shed / furniture! I promise to try to keep it organized and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very creative solution. Nice mini-shed/furniture, too. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't understand these rules: no shed! But you had great idea and ingenious decision, nice 'shed' - all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it. Wish I had one for its original purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea. I want one and as you know;I have a shed! Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! I don't have a shed or anything else that cool. I just have a couple of jumbly shelves in my garage and get lots of exercise. What a great idea! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great solution Laurrie and not nearly as expensive as a shed. It is always a great feeling of accomplishment to put things in good order.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well you certainly outsmarted them! The 'shed' is very handsome and you have it so well organized. Lots of ideas there for my own storage woes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant idea Laurrie. Got what you need despite the rules - who makes such dumb rules anyway?. I believe there are rules here but more along the lines of you can't have outdoor buildings in disrepair rather than outlawing them altogether. I can't imagine not having a shed for storing all those outdoor bits. Much tidier than having tools strewn about.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a brilliant idea.. I was searching for some sheds on google and found this site, http://www.cheapsheds.com.au/sheds/. They do have a lot of different type of sheds and have read the testimonies of their customers are indeed very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, thanks. I do wish we could have a full sized walk-in shed here, but my storage bin has turned out to be a great solution.

      Delete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.