January 13, 2013

Jangle Around Gently

In winter you don't really need a sign to tell you to relax. There are few garden chores to do other than sit inside reading catalogs and planning for the coming season.

But you should keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.


Satchel Paige said that. He is best known for his comment about not looking back, because something may be gaining on you.

But that was only one of several suggestions Satchel made on how to stay young and healthy. He also listed this piece of advice, which is my favorite.

Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.

It's my goal for 2013. Not a resolution. Just a way of moving in the world, balanced between energetic action and relaxed inertia. Don't sit all day, get moving, stay loose, but stay active.

This year I am going to remember to do that. Just as soon as the sun moves and I have to get up out of this chair and find another sunny spot to snooze in.

 

13 comments:

  1. A fine goal, Laurrie, one that reminds me of a friend's admonition, when I used to work like crazy building my garden: "Pace yourself." I tried. Sometimes I succeeded. All the best in your 2013 effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I'm working hard on pacing myself, and have the relax part down pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Laurrie, I love your goal! But I'm not sure you can keep it when the new spring life knock at your door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadezda, you are so right!!

      Delete
    2. Laurrie,
      I have something for you here:
      http://northern-garden.blogspot.ru/2013/01/walking-at-weekend.html

      Delete
  3. What funny wisdom! I tend to be fairly energetic but have learned to delegate heavy lifting instead of doing it all myself due to shoulder tendinitis. Good luck with your jangling! Maybe you could strap a bell to your waist to let you know if you're not jangling enough. ;o) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, a bell would be perfect and would warn the cats when I'm coming too.

      Delete
  4. Just jangling around gently is about all I can manage these days. Excellent advice for this spring when things go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurrie, that chair looks like the perfect place to spend a winter day! And your room is a lovely place in which to jangle around gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, thanks! That sound you hear is me jangling.

      Delete
  6. I too loved the look of that comfy chair in a cozy sunny room - bright yellow walls, a girl after my own heart! I could jangle around in there all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marguerite, I do like my yellow walls. But if only I had a red painted floor!

      Delete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.