November 5, 2012

Three Survivors

You know what survived Superstorm Sandy in my yard?

Three kinds of plants came through intact: the grasses, the amsonias and the fothergillas.  Each looks untouched.

Most other shrubs lost their leaves and many perennials got knocked over and flattened.

The poor Sheffield mums are splayed on the ground, still in bloom, but I have left them for the bees, who have so little to feed on right now. Other perennials have been cut back since the storm, since their dishevelment added nothing to the garden.

But the grasses look better than ever. Not a bit of floppiness nor any threat of falling over, and they looked this way the very day after the storm.



And the Amsonia tabernaemontana is untouched, looking just as it did before the winds howled.

The gale blew down all the fall leaves on trees and shrubs, but the fothergilla gardenii did not lose a single leaf, and decided to show its fall glory when the storm clouds departed.


I am fortunate that nothing was destroyed -- no trees down or limbs split.  But the whole garden looks done for the season now, too early and too abruptly. So I am particularly happy to have these three survivors looking so good right now.




(You know what else looks great after the storm? The lawn. Cold, wet and windy seems to be perfect for it. It is lush and green and looks like you could play golf on it if you dress warm and hit straight. Damn poor for croquet, though. Too thick.)
 

16 comments:

  1. So good to hear that you and your garden came through the storm alright. That Frothergilla is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks. We survived with no problems, but my heart goes out to those who are still struggling near us.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that the storm didn't cause any terrible damage for you, Laurrie. The grasses and amsonia look great, but oh, that Fothergilla is stunning! My little Fothergilla didn't put out much color at all this year; in fact, it's looked downright puny ever since the summer's drought. I'm just crossing my fingers that it comes back next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I was also unimpressed in the first year or so with the little fothergillas, but now that they have matured they are stunning. I hope yours does well once it gets going, and once the drought is behind it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you didn't have any serious damage. And what a sweet blessing to have a little remnant of fall in that blazing foliage. Everything down here is about two weeks ahead of schedule. All the fall blooming perennials are petering out and they usually last well into November. Maybe if we stay warm we'll have another flush of blooms. Still in the 80's with no rain in sight. Mostly dry fronts so far :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, each season is a little different, and that's true everywhere! It sounds like you still need rain, and boy did we get some --- can I send it to you?

      Delete
  4. Things definitely could have been much worse. All three of those plants survived and still look good in my garden too. In fact, I think I prefer the wilder, more wind blown look of the grasses :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, it's good to know your grasses, amsonias and fothergillas did well too. In fact, I had read on a NY blog that those three plants were still standing and looking great at Battery Park.

      Delete
  5. Laurrie, your survivors certainly are beautiful reminders of resilience and strength. Thanks for that. Enjoy, and let's hope we get a breather between storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, the next storm is on its way, can you believe it? Stay dry and safe!

      Delete
  6. Your survivors are lovely! Fothergilla is one of my favorites. Mine are just beginning to show fall colors. I have two. One is predominantly gold, while the other is shades of purple and red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, My two fothergillas are predominantly kaleidoscope, but one is more gold than the other. Funny how plants have individual personalities!

      Delete
  7. All three are such tough plants, I'm not surprised they bounced right back. I had a fothergilla in my garden in SC and really wish I had them in my current garden. I miss them. Yours are fabulous! I love their range of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, do you have a space in your current garden for a fothergilla? You really need one, I can just see it lighting up your fall border or near the house!

      Delete
  8. Wowza, that fothergilla! I'm so glad your trees all made it through this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks -- the fall leaves came down in the storm, but the trees and shrubs had no damage thankfully.

      PS, I no longer can make comments on your blog, not sure if it's my browser or whatever, or if you took comments off? There is no place to leave a comment any more : (

      Delete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.