August 1, 2012

Repeat Offenses

It is time to tell you about a gardening oops, a mistake made in the garden.

Joene makes us do this on the first of the month, and you can read about more Gardening Oops, on her blog. 

This time, instead of telling you about one major gaffe, I'll simply list the recurring garden mistakes I make all the time.  Over and over.

I'm a repeat offender.

1. I always mix up pansies and petunias.  I know which is which, I do.  And I know one likes cooler weather and the other does well in the heat.  It's the names that confuse me.  The petunias are okay with this, they are easy going plants, but the fussy violas are so picky about what I call them.


2. I never get 'Black & Blue' sage to bloom.  All I ever get is foliage.  Salvia guaranitica is supposed to get fuller with pinching (could you resist pinching something called 'black & blue' every time you walk by?)  But my actions do not produce fuller, well branched bloomers.  I apparently remove all the flower buds.  My neighbor does not cut hers back at all and her plants bloom early and often and tauntingly.

Yet I do it every time I try to grow salvia guaranitica, which has been three years in a row now, and I never get the deep royal blue spikes.  I pinch the flowers off.  Oops.

This one was bought already in flower.  That's the only way I can get blooms.


3. I keep my bench organized, I clean up after I am done potting petunias (or wait, are those pansies?), I have a hook or a location for every tool, but somehow I always leave my gloves and pruners out on the bench when it rains.   The gloves and pruners get musty and rusty and eventually quite ruined.  Oops.

So I got a watertight plastic tub with a snap lid to put gloves and pruners in, to keep them handy and dry, right on my bench.  But because I leave the lid open, the gloves and pruners now sit in a tub of standing water after each rain.  This did not turn out to improve the problems with sogginess or rust very much.

What disturbs me about these repeat mistakes is that I am surprised each and every time I make them.  Truly gobsmacked, amazed each time.  What, I left the lid open last night?  And it rained?  Oh crap, did I just pinch the flowers off?  Again?


And I know what these pink flowers are, but what the heck are they called?

Peonies?


26 comments:

  1. This cracks me up!! I recently ripped out my favorite coneflowers convinced they had aster yellows when they didn't. My metal rake is in the backyard rusting as I type because I didn't expect it to rain. I love your potting bench!! So cute and organized, especially those knobs. :o) Try to ignore your salvia and it might bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, it's nice to know there is another surprised and terminally mistaken gardener out there!

      Delete
  2. Unless I am very much mistaken, that is also a petunia.
    I am not sure why but there was a wiff of Harry Potter to this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, oh no, a whiff Harry Potter? Yu made me smile with that one.

      Delete
  3. We are creatures of habit. Those hooks do look handy. You have some serious knives hanging there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, those knives are steak knives that I use for edging. The serrated edges are great for trimming up wayward lawn creeping into the beds.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I like that idea. It never occurred to me to use knives for edging!

      Delete
  4. You leave your gloves and pruners out in the rain. At least you can find them. I disappear mine to who knows where? Compost? The woods? Into the pond? Arrrrgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, You need to tie your hand tools to your belt with a long springy cord! What a treasure trove you will find out in the woods and pond someday when you stumble across a lost tool.

      I will be with the Bloomfield garden club visiting your garden this evening. I saw your place last year, but now know it more intimately through your blog and am looking forward to seeing it with new knowledge. I hope Big Momma's Garden is ready for us!

      Delete
    2. I've tried carrying the in a bucket, but not tied to a cord. That's next.

      I'm delighted you'll be here. As is Big Momma. We'll see if Bette is available.

      Delete
  5. Laurrie, I don't repeatedly leave tools or gloves, but I do often plant bulbs in the autumn then forget exactly where I planted them all. I've accepted this GOOPs as part of my nature and now look forward to surprizing myself each spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joene, Surprises in the garden are so .... random! It seems like they just occur, but of course it is our forgetful tool care and misremembered planting that is at fault.

      Delete
  6. I do the exact same thing! We should just combine them and call them petunsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I love it --- petunsies! Or pansias?

      Delete
  7. I love your potting bench! I am always hunting for my garden gloves; I'll find one, but where is the other? Don't most people take both gloves off and leave them in the same place? It is a mystery how mine walk off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, It's a mystery. You must find the lone glove out in the garden somewhere, abandoned, at the end of the season, but what help is that!

      Delete
  8. I mentioned you in my current post. Also, check out my Garden Love column. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy --- thanks so much for all the attention on your blog!

      Delete
  9. Your potting bench is really cute and nicely arranged. The painted faucet handles (?) are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks. It's where the garden magic happens. My husband built the bench for me, and it will likely outlast the house!

      Delete
  10. I am the worst about leaving stuff out. I love your bench! It really does look very organized. My black and blue is not doing well, either. I had heard it was invasive - and mine's on its last breath! Makes me feel a bit insecure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HolleyGarden, You can't grow black & blue sage either? Good to know I am not the only failure with this "easy" salvia. My neighbor grows big luscious ones and does nothing to them. grrr.

      Delete
  11. What is it about human nature that causes us to make the same mistakes, over and over again? II have gotten to the point where I very purposefully place my clippers and gloves back in the same place, every single time I use them. This was a very entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, we are creatures of habit and it is hard to train us! Thanks for visiting, and I'm glad you got a little entertainment : )

      Delete
  12. Your gardening oops's always make me laugh, Laurrie. Although I try to put away my tools after gardening, I have been known to leave them out on occasion, too. Hmmm, I wonder if I leave the pruners, the clippers, the shovel, etc. out tonight, if that will finally make it rain?? It might be worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, absolutely it will rain if you leave your tools, especially gloves, outside. But be sure to get expensive ones, maybe even leather. That way it will rain for sure!

      Delete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.