August 15, 2012

A Simple Fix

The edge of the garden that borders the patio walk bothered me all summer. It was too wavy, snaky and odd. Bad job.


I kept thinking I would wait until cooler weather to get the edger out, cut away the sod, and form a better curve. It only needed a small amount of sod removed but I HATE SOD REMOVAL. It's definitely a cool weather project.  I hate digging out lawn. I'd rather weed or wrestle invasive vines. Wait until fall, I said.

But I could stand it no longer.

On a hot afternoon after lunch one day, in the middle of summer with the mid day sun beating down and the humidity approaching jungle saturation levels, I grabbed the edger and did the job.

It took twenty minutes. The groundcover clumps of ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' need to spread out a bit to fill the bare mulch, and the grass looks a little trodden where I was working, but it looks much better.

Why did I wait all summer to do this? It was such a simple fix.

 

13 comments:

  1. I laughed at you choosing to do this during midday. Sounds like something my husband would do. ha... It does look better and I know you feel much better about it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that's what got me --- stewing about it all summer, then going out in the heat and just doing it.

      Delete
  2. Mad dogs, Englishmen and gardeners..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, that was the original title of this post -- Mad Dogs and Englishmen --- don't know why I changed it. Adding "and gardeners" made me laugh.

      Delete
  3. Yes edging is the answer to lots of problems...and makes us feel proud and so much better! Good job!
    Mowing is a quick fix too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, You are so right, edging and mowing are the best improvements to a garden in summer! And plopping a little mulch on the bare spots makes it look so much better too.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe how fresh and lovely your garden looks in this heat!!
    As for stewing - its always like that - I can waste months stewing about something and all it takes is a couple of minutes to climb out the stew and do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I'm glad to know there is someone else who spends more time putting off a project than it takes to actually do it. We had terrible heat and a dry patch all of July, but in August we got rain, so the lawn looks good even in the hot summer sun.

      Delete
  5. Ain't it grand to learn again that the dread usually is worse than the chore. Fortunately, your desire for immediate gratification (and that change looks gratifying) overcame your temporary avoidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, you're right about wanting immediate gratification. It overcame my dread of the beastly sod removal, and I am glad it did.

      Delete
  6. There is nothing like a good edge. We all know it and it is a job which requires a bit of elbow grease. Well, for me since I don't have a gas edger but it is always well worth the effort. Yours looks marv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layanee, edges make such a difference when there is grass lawn and a planted borders. One year I went with a "natural" look where the plants blended with the lawn and it did not work at all.

      Delete
  7. Ha! I can relate! It is for sure my least favorite job in the garden but as your picture shows it truly adds that bit of definition....It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.