I began documenting my GOOPs on April 1, 2010, and have participated almost every month since.
I intended to blog about past mistakes I made as a beginning gardener, and learned from. Instructive, careful lessons about what NOT TO DO. Instead I seem to have an unlimited capacity to make new mistakes.
Today is the first of January and the first day of 2012 and in honor of that, I culled 18 months of posts and have made you all a Top Ten List of my mistakes. Click on the photo captions and read the disasters in full from the original posts. Study and learn from each. I certainly didn't.
TOP TEN EXAMPLES OF ERRORS TO AVOID IN YOUR OWN GARDEN
1. Wrong plant, wrong place, wrong idea, wrong zone.
|9/1/10 - This Was the Worst Thing I Ever Planted|
2. Crushing discouragement for a new gardener.
3. Planned, paid for, planted and pampered these. Couldn't remember any of it.
|5/1/11 - Planted Them, Dug Them Up, No Idea|
4. Sprayed stuff heedlessly.
5. What was I thinking?
|4/1/11 - This Just Looked Stupid From the Start|
6. This is gone now, taken out by a storm.
|12/1/10 - I Regretted Planting This|
7. This was NOT my mistake. I'm saying.
|5/1/10 - Outdoor Spelling Errors|
That's seven, I can't go on. The next three oops in a list of ten would be:
- I crammed everything too close together and never thought they'd grow so big.
- Don't crowd tall shrubs under short trees and fill in with steroidal perennials.
- A 40 foot tall tree is not going to do well in a 6 foot wide bed up against the house. You can't make it fit.
Those last three are all the same mistake. I am horticulturally unable to space permanent plants appropriately, especially large things like forest trees, rampant vines or car-sized shrubs . I just can't do it.
Happy New Year!
Here's a toast to making lots of horticultural blunders in your garden in 2012.
I'll let you know about mine.