January 24, 2012

Be Warned


It is every bit as addicting as they said it was.  I am hooked.

I don't tweet, I dislike facebook although I am on it, and I have no patience for all this social networking sharing stuff. 

And then I joined Pinterest.  Yikes.

Endless arrays of pictures and ideas.  Easy, so easy to grab something from the internet and "pin" to idea boards.  Or grab it from someone else's idea board.  It's like a big menu of Tumblr blogs, but organized into topics and set up so you can see everyone's and they can see yours easily.

There is constant endorphin gratification as pretty photos slide by, and creative projects ping in my mind.  Instant reward as "re-pins" and "likes" validate my tastes.  It's like blog comments only more fleeting.

It's ephemeral, visually rich, quick, and it opens all kinds of creative possibilities.  I am losing big portions of my day to it.

There are wonderful garden photos all over Pinterest.  Plants, designs, hardscapes, tools, inventive projects, check it out.  Then go look at the home design and fashion and oh my god the food ideas.

You can see whether anyone enjoys your blog photos, by checking if they pin them to their idea boards.  Type pinterest.com/source/your blog url.com into your browser and it shows you any of your photos that people have discovered and grabbed, and who they are.

(Pinterest always includes the link back to your blog with credit.)

So go sign up.

It's free.  You have to go through a weird invitation process that takes a couple days, and there's a waiting list (huh?), and you have to sign up with a facebook or twitter id, which is kind of annoying.

But be warned.  I did not believe it could be so addicting.

16 comments:

  1. I have seen this site mentioned on several other blogs and FB pages. I have wondered what it is. Now I know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been many who mentioned it on their blogs, that's how I got hooked!

      Delete
  2. It is truly addicting. One of my friends came over to my house yesterday, and we got on there for a moment to show each other how to do different things on there. While we were talking in person! I spent almost 2 hours on there on Saturday. It can easily suck my time away. But I love it.

    I am not so into Facebook. And don't have a Twitter account. But Pinterest, oh my....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it does... sucks your time away! But for all the time I waste, I do also get some great design and plant ideas from Pinterest.

      Delete
  3. I barely have time to maintain my blog. But I might take a peek this summer when I'm off. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy if you are concerned about time, do NOT go near Pinterest!

      : )

      Delete
  4. I've heard of many people being glued to Pinterest. Now I have to go too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reluctant to join, but did so a few weeks ago. I love it, but try to limit my time using Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about time management, and since I retired, I fail on managing any of my time very well.

      Delete
  6. I'm on Facebook, but don't post often, and I refuse to start twittering--does anybody really want to know what I do every minute of the day?:) But my daughter introduced me to Pinterest, and I liked the concept, so I joined. I've tried to limit my time there, because I can understand how addictive it can be. I noticed the other day, though, that one blogger has requested that no one copy her photographs onto Pinterest. I'm curious what the etiquette or protocol is here; I don't want to copy someone's photos if they prefer I don't. But I certainly would like to--finally, a way to keep track of ideas I see on blogs without having to try to remember days later, "now where did I see that posted??"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I wondered about the use of blog photos all over Pinterest. They are credited, which means a pinned photo will drive readership to the blog (a good thing, no?). But by the time a photo gets re-pinned several times it may be harder to find the original blog. And how easy it is to just copy a photo on Pinterest and use it somewhere unattributed. The whole idea of Pinterest is ease of finding photos --- so people may just pin, and then post it themselves somewhere. It will be interesting to follow how this develops in the garden blog world.

      Delete
  7. I've contemplated joining but have yet to do so. Time is my issue but, maybe, when I get really really tired of February I'll join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joene, your photographer in residence might like Pinterest. He should see if it interests him.

      Delete
  8. Laurrie, your report is persuasive, offering two choices: (1) the great wonder of the site. Annnd, (2)its ability to reel you in and hook you. Sounds seductive, but for now, I'm going with Door No. 2; I cannot handle another addiction, as I'm spending food money on houseplants already. I do look forward to your fine adventures, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, Ha! You are so much more disciplined than I am, and clearly better at time management. (I, however, do not have houseplants, having avoided that seduction entirely)

      Delete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.