December 27, 2011

Goodbye 2011

January 2011.  Three tall panicums 'Northwind' glow in the snow.

.
February 2011.  It kept on snowing.  Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen' tucks in.

March 2011.  The reward for getting through January & February.

April 2011.  The reward for getting through March.

May 2011.  View out the window.  Then.  Cercis 'Oklahoma' is gone now, felled by a storm.

June 2011.  Happy nasturtiums in a sea of green. 

July 2011.  First year that Aesculus parviflora (Bottlebrush buckeye) bloomed for me.

August 2011.  Lobelia cardinalis, cool looking and hot colored in the summer shade.

September 2011.  Caryopteris appears and bees go wild.

October 2011.  The month started like this . . . .
. . . . and ended like this.  This is just not supposed to happen in October.

November 2011.  Fothergilla and grass seedheads warm things up after the snow melted.

December 2011.  Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite' winterberries never outlast the deer, but they're pretty in early December.

Goodbye 2011.  A little less snow for next year, okay?  A lot less rain, and more moderate temperatures in July, please.  That's all I ask.

And better light.  We had too many slightly overcast skies this year and a lot of my pictures came out flat.  A little earlier spring would be nice, but I won't push it.

No freak October snowstorms of any kind in the coming year. 

13 comments:

  1. Loved the photo journey through the garden of 2011. I think your wishes for the new year are spot on. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit some fine photographic notes in your summing up of 2011, Laurrie. Such an eventful year. Happy 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad about the 'Oklahoma' Redbud. That was such a lovely tree. Your Fothergilla is still gorgeous in fall though.

    You got more than your fair share of snow this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your Oklahoma was glorious, such a great tree....
    I am with ya about the snow, Laurrie. Just give us what we need, please. No more!
    I cannot wait for March. Or July...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore that February photo, there's almost a surreal quality to it that I can't describe. I second your wish for a little less snow this year. I'm not looking forward to aching muscles from shoveling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your end of the year review, Laurrie. I intend to do one, too, but it may be 2012 before I get it finished:) I'd forgotten about your freak snowstorm in October; we just had our first real snow, but thankfully, it wasn't anything like this. 2011 was a wild year for weather; I'm with you in hoping for a calmer, more moderate year ahead. Best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your 2011 review! So sorry about the redbud, but I suppose its loss is another opportunity. It seems the garden is always filled with new opportunities and challenges. May you have a great gardening year, 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take all your snow! I love the nasturtium pix and the little bird house. It looks so lush. Great idea to sum up the year in photos. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurrie, you had quite a year! All the best for a glorious garden in 2012. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your photo calendar, it says it all. We all hope for more hospitable gardening weather in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice retrospective of your garden throughout 2011. Yes, I agree with you...a little less freakish weather for 2012 would be grand! Happy New Year, Laurrie. Thanks for all your thoughtful comments and blogging friendship throughout 2011. Here is to a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ups and downs this year but next year...the garden will be glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.