November 3, 2011

Update

It snowed here last Saturday.  A lot.
No power yet, we have been out since Saturday's storm but we are told we will get power by Sunday at midnight.  The library is in business so I am charging up, and I am way warmer here than at home!  Night time temps in the 20s and 30s make for cozy evenings in an unheated house.

I am cold but okay. 

The garden -- not.  I lost many young trees, and the mini forest I created on the back hill to screen us from the road has been mostly topped, no longer screening anything.  Woody debris is scattered everywhere.

Large limbs came off the specimen maple trees in our yard and the trees will look deformed for a while but will surely live.  Not so the doublefile viburnum, split smack down the middle, or the witch hazels, or redbuds or a lovely ornamental cherry --- they were all split or snapped off at the trunk.
This redbud had gotten 15 feet tall and so leafy!
The 'Okame' cherry snapped off
All the witch hazels fell apart.  This was 'Diane'

The flowering dogwood had gotten to be a lovely shape and size.  It will live and eventually re-branch its missing limbs, but what a goofy look for a tree, certainly for a while to come.

My Bradford pear imploded, as did all the pear trees in town, every last one!  Horrid tree, no good in any kind of weather.  I won't replant it.

I'll stop here.  My garden as I designed it is gone and I need to start over, but some plants will regrow in different shapes and many things survived and will look no worse. 

The river birches made it with only a few branches dropped.  The magnolia will look lopsided but will gain more leaves in a season or two.  The katsura tree is iffy, but we'll see.  The evergreens are good and I'll start there with design changes.

Nature can be forgiving.  Stuff that wasn't snapped in two will regrow, fill in again, and I will replant what I need to.  I will still have a nice garden. 

Not the one I envisioned, but it's her show, not mine.

15 comments:

  1. I read your blog regularly and I have been worried about you! So sorry for all of the damage to your garden. You have a good attitude...it's her show, not mine.
    Can't wait to hear how you rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. This is heartbreaking, but an opportunity at the same time. Best of luck with your new challenges...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lurking for awhile and just had to leave a comment letting you know how sorry I am. What a terrible loss! Only other gardeners could understand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. How overwhelming. I am glad you are safe if cold. I knew something awful had happened up your way. There are a lot of blogs very quiet in the wake of the storm. Take care of yourself. The garden will be there for your attention when all calms down. Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, all that snow! That's all I can say. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother nature has her own design ideas. This will make your garden "quirky". Try to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Laurrie how I love your positive outlook. You are such an inspiration. You're a wise lady and I'm thankful for your sage advice..."it's her show, not mine." I could stand to remember this during our drought. Peace and warmth sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Sorry to here about the garden destruction. I hope everything survives and I hope your power comes back on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures really put your post/email into persepctive. Mother Nature always wins. It sounds like your first design was the rough draft, nature did some editing, and now it's time to revise and redesign. It will be your ultimate design challenge!! I love your last line! It's so true. Hugs and prayers from VA to CT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been in my thoughts, Laurrie, as I suspected you were hit hard and have been without power.
    As you point out, Mother Nature has given CT gardeners a worthy reminder this year ... it's her show and always will be. We are merely minor players.
    Looking forward to having you back in the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Laurrie, I'm so sorry to hear this and see the damage done. I had no idea the storms would cause so much damage there but I suppose young trees are probably more at risk. You have a great attitude about mother nature, I could learn a little something about not getting so worked up when she messes with my plans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How devastating that storm has been for your trees! I am sorry for your loss of trees, the photos are heartbreaking...
    Keep safe, let us know when things get back to semi-normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurrie, I am so sorry to see all this damage. As a gardener, I can imagine how you must feel. Your great attitude will carry you through to new garden plans. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mother Nature really does have a way of throwing a monkey wrench into the best laid garden plants. I'm sorry to see all of the trees lost and the damage. Including the power outage! I hope your power is back on soon so you can warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.