November 20, 2011

A Re-Post from A Year Ago

The marigold in my garden, the sturdy one, the reliable bloomer with the short stocky form and the colors of sunshine.  The most dependable, easy going, funny plant I grow.  Yes, the marigold is funny, it tells jokes and makes the other flowers laugh.

 He made me laugh.

Marigolds never ever fail you.  They are like the repairmen of the garden, ready to fill a spot with brightness, or repel trouble on nearby veggies with their spicy scent.

When I needed him, he was always there, repair tools in hand.

The marigold is an easy plant that gets along with every other specimen in the border.  A fussy mass of blooms is always anchored by the addition of structured, unpretentious marigolds tucked in among them.

He was the stable backbone of our messy, jumbled lives.

My brother in law, my sister's husband, the marigold in my life.

It was a year ago today that he left us.

Still missing him.


5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Laurrie. I'll bet your brother in law would be touched by your tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe it's been a year. Miss you, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss, Laurrie. I agree, marigolds are the ol' reliables, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy to take marigolds for granted, to not appreciate their good qualities while flashier, more trendy plants command attention. This is a nice tribute to your brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like someone who will be missed always. A lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.