September 27, 2011

We Are Still Pleased

I can't believe I can still be delighted by a walk around my house on a morning at the very beginning of fall.

I've seen this garden over and over this season, weeded it endlessly, walked it repeatedly, fussed over it and spent far too much time looking at and critiquing it.  

And then a foggy September morning lights up the sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana) outside my bedroom window and I see it anew.

Then I noticed the three Japanese forest grasses, Hakonechloa macra 'Beni Kaze', that I originally planted into the ground beneath a Japanese maple last year.

But rabbits kept eating them to the ground, so in frustration, I yanked out the stubby remains, plunked them into three separate plastic pots and left them on the front porch.  The rabbits gave up and I forgot about them.

But when I finally noticed them this year, I was pleased.  They looked nice and full enough to stage going up the front steps, and they are now ridiculously funny mopheaded greeters at the front door.

I love the pipecleaner spires of Persicaria affinis 'Dimity', or Himalayan fleeceflower.  It's a low groundcover and well behaved.  It's always there, carpeting the lowest level of my garden, intimidating weeds and spreading itself about a bit.  I like it all summer.  I still like it.

I planted a new clematis that will provide some vertical activity on an empty brick wall.  The clematis needs something to climb on, so I stuck a flimsy metal trellis in the ground to wait for next season's foliage to claim it and tear it down.  It surprised me how much I like the bare trellis by itself.  The copper sun, blending into the brick, is a pleasant little touch, and I almost don't want the vine to cover it.  Should I leave it as a bare trellis and put the clematis somewhere else?

Even the hints that my summer garden is going by are pleasing.  There is soft pink sedum 'Autumn Joy' blooming and flopping at the front of this fading garden.  There is a frosty colored purple sage nestling next to the sedum.  Blowsy nepeta lazes on the right, too big and loose to look perky any more.  The itea virginica in the middle is turning slightly reddish, and will be on fire in a few weeks.

Even after a long summer, even when things are fading, I must say:
      . . . . .we are still pleased.

6 comments:

  1. I love that persicaria. It is on my list. Thanks for reminding me of the proper name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I love about gardening--things are always changing. Every day can bring a new surprise. Even as the days get shorter and many of the flowers are fading, there are still new lovely scenes to be found.

    P.S., I like your bare trellis, but I think you'll enjoy the clematis there when it starts growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, Laurrie! I really like that trellis there too. Maybe instead of a vine, just a nice vertical plant so the the copper sun is featured?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commonweeder, the persicaria is also called P. affinis 'Superba'. You may not find it under 'Dimity', but it's the same thing, with two different cultivar names.

    Rose, the jury is out for me on the clematis, but I will wait til next season to see if I like it on that somewhat flimsy sun trellis.

    Garden Ms. S, I actually think the clematis might be too heavy for the copper sun trellis, so your suggestion of a vertical plant in front (but not climbing) it might work better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This, I think, is a great sign Laurrie that you've managed to create some interest in the fall season and a garden that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marguerite, thanks! Isn't it great when we actually like our own creations!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.