September 1, 2011

Snap Trap

If you are going to put out those hard plastic spring-loaded snap traps to capture root eating, plant destroying voles in your garden . . . . .



. . . . . do not pick up the trap by the front edge while it is open.  Don't.    


I know this from personal experience.

Joene from Joene's Garden sponsors gardening mistakes, those "oops" we commit and are willing to admit to.  You can read other gardening oops (GOOPs) on her blog on the first of every month. 

That's mine for this month.  Sheesh.  It really hurt.

An update as of Friday, Sept. 2: I think Joene must be without power, as there is no GOOPs on her blog this month.  A lot of Connecticut is still without electricity even now, six days after tropical storm Irene.

12 comments:

  1. Those jaws look menacing and they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much I could say, but I'll give you credit for posting this so I won't kick you while you are down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a hell of a trap. I'd hate to see the beastlet that was caught in it and have t dispose of it. We are overrun with lizards which seem to eat their weight in earwigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, Menacing is the word! ouch

    Gail, thank you for your discretion in not saying anything, especially since my ability to respond to you with a finger gesture is so compromised right now.

    Roberta, I did catch two voles in these traps and they were deader than dead. Snap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! Sorry to hear about your mishap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That is one scary-looking trap. Hope your finger is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to say I'm laughing. gosh that must have hurt but how funny that you got caught in the mouse trap. I've invested in tree guards this fall so hopefully the vole damage will subside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cat, thanks, dang nabbit!

    Rose, the finger is okay, but it really did hurt for a while.

    Marguerite, after the shock and the bad words, I got the trap off my finger and then laughed too. It was funny because it was just so, um . . . . inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch, sorry to hear about that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes!! Is it broken!? Holy cow, I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to pick up that monster!
    (I've asked for a gun for Christmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OUCH!!! Although I'm sure what I would have yelled when that thing snapped shut on my fingers would have been much more colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tammy, you bet it hurt!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.