July 22, 2011

Adam and the Apple

I have discovered an interesting blog that is completely and totally dedicated to apples.  Actually he discovered me and left a comment on my post about heirloom apples at Tower Hill Botanical Garden.  That's how I found the link to his blog, and when I went over to check it out, I was delighted.

Adam's Apples is not about recipes, autumn crafts or the health benefits of eating apples.  It is totally focused on the growing of apple trees and reviewing apple fruit varieties.  It really caught my fancy.

First, there is the fact that his name is Adam (that made me smile).

Second, I grew up in an apple orchard and have such nostalgia for the beautiful clouds of May blooms, the twisty scrabbled trunks, the heavy fruit dropping into messy piles in the lawn (okay that part was annoying, as it was my job to rake them up) .  The farmer sold off the property after World War II and a builder put up houses among the gnarled old trees and that's where I grew up, living in an orchard.

1956 - that's me in front of the apple trees in our yard
in winter the contorted branches stood against the sky
Third, Adam's blog is an incredibly comprehensive catalog of varieties most of us have never seen.  And I know that the look and taste of some of the old cultivars is nothing like the waxy globe you buy at the supermarket.

And fourth, his blog is so focused.  I love the fact that it is all about apples.  Just apples. The genus malus.  There are clear pictures of each kind, and a quirky catalog.  His enthusiasm for this remarkable, productive fruit is infectious.

I don't grow apples in my garden, and I can't even grow ornamental crabapples since our area is prone to cedar apple rust from nearby junipers.  While rust can be controlled somewhat and probably won't kill the trees, I just don't want the maintenance and the defoliation problems in my small garden.
from Adam's blog, check it out

But oh, how I miss the apple trees I grew up with.  And how I am longing for a tart, crisp, juicy eating apple right now.

I will have to go cruise Adam's catalog of opinionated reviews to find one that would be just right.








By the way, if you really want to appreciate the remarkable attributes of the humble apple, read Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.  He profiles the evolution of four plants that humans have domesticated, one of which is the apple.  It's an amazing story. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh stop, you are making me hungry. Hmmm Maybe it is just time for breakfast. I will have to check out this Adams Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. Adam's site is fascinating, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those photos of you in your apple orchard, Laurrie! We lost an old apple tree last year to strong winds, and now have only one apple tree. I've been thinking about replacing the one we lost, so Adam's Apple sounds like a great place to visit for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day there is something new and wonderful to find in an unglimpsed part of the web, like Adam and his apples. It is sad that for most home gardeners fruit trees are too much of a headache. Love your nostalgic words and pix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun - love the name! We only picked apples once as a child but I can imagine how magical it would be to grow up in an orchard...loved your childhood pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute blog name. I guess he could have been a Johnny and been obsessed with apples. NYS is a big apple growing state. One thing they do right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to check out his site. We have a couple of dwarf apple trees here but the real orchards are in the mountains. Must have been nice to grow up in an apple orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, wouldn't a juicy apple be refreshing right now?

    Jim, enjoy the site when you check it out.

    Rose, I wish I could plant some apple trees here and have them do well. Alas.

    Cyndy, it really is delightful to find something interesting hiding on the web.

    Cat, thanks. It was lovely but messy to have all those apple trees in our yard.

    Donna, the name caught my attention too : )

    Sweetbay, except for the job of raking up all the fallen apples every summer, it was nice . . . but that was a real mess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son once got to the core of an apple he was eating and discovered two seeds had germinated. We planted them and they grew! We transplanted them into the backyard and they grew about 5 ft in 3 yrs. The next owners, however, cut them down. An apple is still his favorite fruit!

    Quick clarification - our temp was 103, too. 115+ was the heat index. Soaker hoses saved my garden! They are exponentially cheaper than sprinkler systems and are easy to move when you want to rearrange your garden beds. Because they water at the root, I'm not wasting water like some sprinklers have the potential to do.

    Thanks for the tip on Adam's site. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laurrie, So nice you haven't forgotten the apples of your youth. My grandfather had an old orchard gone wild with sheep grazing in it. I loved that place and still cherish the memories of the apple trees. Amazing how iconic they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. TS, how sad that new owners cut down a tree your son had grown from an eating apple. Sniff.

    Garden Ms. S, apple trees certainly are iconic, whether in an orchard or just a few surrounding an old homestead. They evoke an earlier century and a different life (especially with sheep in the orchard!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures of you are absolutely adorable. I agree that Adam's blog is a really excellent site. We have actually come across it before when we started researching our own orchard last year. There's so much to learn about heritage apples and his love of these varieties really shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marguerite, thanks! You are getting to be a real resource on apple growing too, with your posts on your orchard experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.