June 7, 2011

Gentle Surprises

Gardeners focus too much on the problems that plague the garden; at least I do.  So it's a nice surprise when something successful happens.  Something simple and unexpected.

I looked out at the back hill one day in May and saw a small army of purple lupines and white daisies on maneuvers up there.  I didn't plant them.

I did throw some leftover wildflower seeds out there about four years ago, after trying to establish a meadow in laboriously prepared soil at the edge of the yard.  The meadow didn't take --- the wildflowers were overtaken by aggressive weeds.  But up on the hill, in pebbly scree that had been bulldozed and left, some of the seeds I had scattered on the rocks got their forces together and bloomed and spread and thrived.


Another gentle surprise is my kiwi vine (Actinidia kolomikta).  It is supposed to have striking pink and white coloration on the tips of the leaves, but all accounts say it takes years before the color shows up.  I planted both male and female vines last fall (you need both for kiwi fruits, and the male is supposed to have more of the unusual coloring).

And there --- do you see it? --- on the tips of the leaves on the right are some white splashes.  I thought it was bird doo, and then I thought I may have splattered something on it over the railing of the deck.  But it's the promised coloring showing up, just one year after planting.  Not pink, but frosty white.

These are just gentle surprises in my garden, but they please me.

It doesn't take much.

12 comments:

  1. What a treat to get lupines and daisies. I hope you can see them from a deck or window. It makes for such a nice show. My mom has kiwi vines and the coloration is SO pretty. I've never seen t in white, but I do believe I see hues of pink in the last photo, on the leaves to the left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love surprises like this? I love the lupines and daisies together; what a lovely vignette. It just goes to show that sometimes Mother Nature has her own mind, no matter what we gardeners try to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see the lupines! Having flowers show up *eventually* is kinda like receiving a lost card in the mail - sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the simply joy of finding a few surprises in the garden. What could be better. Love the kiwi. Mine took a good few years to color up. I like its shape regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your surprises. The wildflowers seeding was a wonderful find. All they went through to bloom so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your surprises! I have a surprise tomato this year. Kiwi vine is so gorgeous!! Lucky you to have white splotches instead of poo on your leaves! Cracks me up that your scree is full of gorgeous flowers. Mother Nature has a seriously twisted sense of humor!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all. The best experiences in the garden are surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure I would jump up and down if I looked out the window and saw lupines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I see a wild bunch of lupines blooming I think about the moose I saw standing in a roadside clump of these beautiful flowers. I hope you get a gentle moose browsing in your garden edge some day. Now that would be a surprise. tee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, now you have me checking every time I look up the hill to see if that shadow I see or some movement in the lupines is a moose!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.