May 28, 2011

But Why Is The Rum Gone?

This is a garden blog, and you should expect to be reading a post on plants, garden design and landscape ideas.

That's as may be.

Last weekend Jim and I celebrated our wedding anniversary and I will not be posting about plants.  I will be posting about pirates.

In honor of our great occasion we went to see the latest Disney film Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.  It's the fourth one and, truth be told, there be nothing new here, poppet.

After nearly a decade, the Jack Sparrow role is no longer wildly original, the swashbuckling no longer swashes, the jokes are self-referential (with three previous films there is a lot to refer back to), the special effects aren't so innovative any more.  The Keith Richards thing is old.  It's all been done, endlessly.

And we loved every minute of it.  Johnny Depp just has to show up, kohl eyed and in costume.

A whole new character was introduced --- a clergyman whose sole purpose in the movie was to stage an argument about moral clemency so that Jack Sparrow (there should be a 'captain' in there) could voice the line "I support the missionary's position".  It went on like that.

We shared a huge tub of buttered popcorn, we watched swords flash, mermaids swim, and Penelope Cruz threaten to fall out of her pirate's bustier.

Coco nuciferas.
This is a garden blog, you know
As we watched, I thought how appropriate this movie was for our anniversary.

Our marriage, not so unlike the leaky ships and tired roles on screen, endures. We have sequels yet to come.  Our jokes are stale, we know each others' predictable lines, we stage battles.  We sail on.

And I have loved every minute of it with my pirate.

And so . . . . .
   Drink up, me hearties, yo ho.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Laurrie, this is a great analogy of the movie vs marriage. I could say the same. Lovin' every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really write the best posts, no matter what the topic. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said! I hope these men know how good they have it....married to the Funk girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary!! I love the Pirate movies. They always guarantee a good time. Plus, I'm dying to dress up like a pirate wench so I can walk around and shock people. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, my friend. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary! I always enjoy swashbuckling adventures and look forward to the new Pirates of the Caribbean, though I will surely miss Orlando Bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bit late but warmest wishes for a wonderful anniversary! I agree, I could sit and watch Johnny Depp no mater what!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laurrie,
    Great post! You had me chuckling all the way through. And I love your final paragraph!

    "Our marriage, not so unlike the leaky ships and tired roles on screen, endures. We have sequels yet to come. Our jokes are stale, we know each others' predictable lines, we stage battles. We sail on."

    What lovely sentiments! Happy anniversary to you both!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.