March 17, 2011

Move Over Monet

Claude Monet in the garden
My husband doesn't say anything about the gardens I have surrounded him with.  He mows around them carefully, he will help me with any yard work when I need it, but he isn't much for acknowledging the delights of a specific plant or the exquisite design of a particular grouping.

So, like any duly aggrieved wife, I work myself up, thinking "He doesn't care!  He doesn't value what I've created!   He doesn't even notice all I do."  Sob.

He goes off on a Sunday to see the Monet exhibit at the Hartford Atheneum, leaving me to muck around in the mud cleaning up winter debris from the perennials.  Sniff.

Then he comes back, spends a whole lot of time in his basement workshop, and after a week, presents me with his latest painting.

It is called "Laurrie in the Garden."
Laurrie in the garden
That's me working the earth, and a deer eating everything I have planted in the garden next to me.  He tells me there are symbolic touches, like a dead vole he put in there just for me, but I'm not sure I see that.

But I do see my garden and those are my trees and plants, and that is me, and he really notices and he really cares and he does see how beautiful it all is in a vivid and impressionistic way.

There are hearts in the sky for chrissake.  Four of them.  Sniff.

20 comments:

  1. This was so sweet of him. I bet you were really surprised. I did not see all of the critters, but he did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it makes the heart sing doesn't it? Love it. Where is that deer? Oh dear, it doesn't matter. The color, the form, the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly thoughtful man! So sweet, it brings a tear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! I see lots of love and attention to detail here. The Mr made lots of points with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet of him! and how nice to know that he is thinking of you even when you aren't aware. I love the bright colours of this painting and the hearts in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the dead vole the Dark Mark with the green tongue? Or does that represent garden evils in general? What is the figure above yours (or is that you after toiling in the garden?)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, for admiring my artist's work. Sweetbay, the artist tells me you have to see what you want to see in the painting, and like Picasso (!) not everything is strictly representational.... um, okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's not your common story.
    Very sweet.
    Maybe he'll make more painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please tell your husband I LOVE his painting. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing what a painting says that words do not. He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a dear! Your husband's heartfelt work tells a story and elicits real emotion, with smiles and a teardrop or two. Like Monet, priceless! By the way, I see the dead vole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, thanks to all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww....you know when you married the right guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, this is so sweet! Sometimes they just don't say what they are thinking, but this painting says it all. You are a very lucky woman, Laurrie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Ms. S and Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laurrie,
    in your posts you sound a lot like me. I am the passionate one when it comes about gardening and sometimes I was thinking my hubby didn't give much about our garden at all. Yes, he too does help mowing and he does the landscaping work like I would like to have it done but somehow his fishing trips seem to be more important to him. The more I am surprised when sometimes I was gone for a whole day or even only for several hours and I come back and just to find how hard he has worked in our garden while my absence. Even if it was just him doing weeding, cleaning out rock beds or building a brand new flower bed for me, it shows me he does care for what I love and I am passionate about. I try to share his big passion for fishing. Isn't that how a relationship and good marriage should be like?
    Best Regards
    Paula Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paula Jo, You're a saint to try to share his passion for fishing! I don't think I could go that far : )
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laurrie,
    thanks for your response. :)
    It's not that hard for me to share his passion for fishing. I do love fishing as well, probably more than hubby loves the gardening.
    I grew up joining my Dad and older brother going fishing a lot. But I also know, it's not every one's thing, sitting at the banks of a lake or river for hours and eventually nothing other will happen at all than getting bugged by bugs. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.