December 27, 2010

Granted Wishes

Well, it had to happen.  I whined about a hole in the map that left my patch of earth uncovered, bereft of snow for the Christmas holiday.  I wanted a white Christmas.

When the gods want to punish you, they grant your wishes.  And they apparently read your blog.

As a result of the post-Christmas nor'easter blizzard, youngest son is stranded in New York, unable to fly back to Denver to get back to work.  He can't get out now until mid week.

Oldest son shoveled us out today, and then coaxed his Florida-raised girlfriend out into the snow for a photo and to make snow angels, all of which lasted about four minutes before she escaped back inside.


The snow has stopped now, but the winds are still howling.  The snow cover will protect the plants that are buried, but any evergreen leaves daring to peek out are getting blasted.  I'll have winterburn on the bayberry and dessicated leaves on the hollies next spring.

But it was a wonderful, magical holiday, with family here.  We had heat (many lost power), we had good food, and the wine held out.  It was a memorable Christmas, full of talk and laughter and gifts and future plans being made.  While travel is aggravatingly disrupted, my sons are both safe.  I can't complain.

In fact, I will never complain again.  I promise.  If the gods are not only listening to me, but also reading my blog posts, I need to be much more careful.  I'll have to monitor what I wish for.  Who knew I had the ability to bring such wintry devastation to a whole region of the country?  All I wanted was a little snow.


8 comments:

  1. Sorry you got pounded so hard. It's good to hear that you didn't lose power though. Yeah, oftentimes I think the gods have an evil sense of humor.

    Your tree is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to hear that you got your snow and your holiday wasn't in shambles. All looks beautiful, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful what you wish for O_O We got some rare snow here in NC, but nothing like that. The danger here was ice...it rained for hours before it cooled down enough to turn into snow. And then it got slushy, and then it froze again over the next night. Pretty treacherous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear me you are really coated in snow aren't you! While we have received snow it's nothing like the southern states have gotten. glad you are all well, merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sons are fine, Christmas was good - all the bases really are covered - even if it is in snow! Glad it all turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so you're to blame! We got about 14" here in Stamford. I think the wind was the worst part, I don't ever remember it howling so loudly for such a long time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I similarly complained in a blog post a few days before last year's pre-Christmas blizzard. We received 2 feet of snow here. Who knew that Old Man Winter reads gardening blogs?

    This year our snow topped somewhere between 6 and 7 inches so you'll hear no complaints from me except that I wish our snow depths were a little greater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweetbay, thanks. The gods really do have a weird sense of humor.

    Lisa, thanks for the compliments!

    Kyna, that heavy icy stuff you got is the worst. Very dangerous, and not good for the plants either.

    Marguerite, you're so much further north than here, but it's good to know you're not snowed in!

    Garden Ms. S, thanks --- it did turn out well and I know I am lucky.

    Debbie, the wind was frightening. Real blizzard conditions. Glad to know you survived ok.

    Joene, you should have warned me from your experience last year: don't tempt the snow gods by complaining!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.