November 28, 2010

What I'd Like

I don't need anything for Christmas.  I have absolutely everything I want.  In embarrassing abundance.

But Santa, if you're listening, you might just maybe possibly could bring me this:

Or a garden shed just like it.  This one is in the far back yard of a house in our neighborhood.  It's way nicer than the house, which was for sale recently.  I was very tempted to put a bid in on the house in order to take ownership of this shed.

It's the setting, of course.  Tucked into a shady woodland edge behind the house, it just fits.

In my open half acre with no tall trees it might look a little over-cute, too much like a dollhouse sitting in the middle of the yard.

Isn't that one of the secrets of garden design?  Context.  Setting.  Stuff in isolation never works unless you are doing a very large specimen focal point.  The lighted tree at Rockefeller Center works spectacularly standing by itself.  A single sheaf of miscanthus grass standing alone is visually odd, and we've all seen just such stranded plant orphans in yards.

So Santa, a few very tall mature trees in my stocking would be appreciated too.  Just for context.

12 comments:

  1. I think maybe it's the four year old in me, but I love this shed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are wrong. You NEED a little shed like this one. You need to place it where the trees will grow up around it. It would encourage those trees to grow quick to be able to tower over the little shed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very cute shed. I really like the doors and of course the Carolina blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing this shed peeking through the trees. You are right, context and setting are so important. Very charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marguerite, your inner four year old has exquisite taste.

    Lisa, I thought about putting in a shed and then waiting for the trees to grow around it. Am still thinking.....

    sweetbay, I didn't realize that shade is Carolina blue! Love it.

    Garden Ms. S, thanks. I go for a walk in the neighborhood to "visit" my shed now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your sense of humor and if you don't mind I'll be asking Santa for one too! (Although I'll need to amend my list to add the 1/2 acre!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cat, thanks! I'm sure Santa can bring you a half acre and a shed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shed, and you are right about gardening: context is everything! I also enjoyed your last post. Good luck with combining your islands; that's definitely the thing to do. Just remember, long swooping curves are good; short squiggly ones are not! You have a wonderful start with your garden, and you have a good garden eye. I am sure you will figure out something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah, thank you.. I need to really work at creating those long curves you mention instead of the choppy squiggles I end up with as I shape new gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea ... I hadn't considered asking Santa for a shed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course Santa should bring you that shed. It is so darn inviting. Have you been a good girl?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joene and Layanee, here's hoping Santa can deliver on this! Yes, I've been soooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.