November 4, 2010

I Speak Bird

A few days ago when it was still warm, I was sitting in the back yard. Everything was quiet and still, even the traffic on the road in back was absent for a few moments.

I heard a single bird chirp seemingly from only inches away, from inside the fat spruce tree near the deck.  Just one sharp peep.  And I immediately and reflexively looked up.  Yes, a hawk was circling above.

What so surprised me was that my reaction was not to look at the source of the sound in the spruce.  Nor did I momentarily wonder "hmm, what's that little peep?"  I didn't think, I just looked up.

It was only later that I realized I have become attuned to the small rhythms and sounds of my backyard world.  I knew that sound and I knew what it meant.  Hawk.

Free stock photo.  I didn't have my camera
I'm not a naturalist or a birder and I couldn't tell you, without seeing him, what kind of small songbird was hiding in the spruce, or even what kind of hawk was cruising the neighborhood although I could see it clearly.

But to my own surprise, I have become enough of a part of the world outside my door to understand the words the birds use and to know what they are telling me. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laurrie, Right about now the skies seem to be filled with red-tails - not sure if they had a really good year, or if this is just their time. I love what you can discover just sitting quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to be attuned to what is happening in your world? I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. We can become one with our surroundings if we just take the time to be still and listen. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone, for visiting and enjoying my little bird story.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.