October 6, 2010

I am Back

I missed my gardens while I was away, and I missed all the blogs I follow.  But oh, the sights I have seen!

The gilded, golden, glories of the Medicis in Florence.

The serenity of tiny villages clinging to the sunny hillsides ringing Lake Como.


The antiquity of the old village of Fribourg, Switzerland hugging the river far below the steep cliffs of the modern city.

The pride of our Swiss hosts as they cooked traditional foods for us and opened their home to us just days after having moved in to a new house.

The snowy Alps, luminescent and eerily near from the top of the hill at Uetliberg.

The loyalty and steadfastness of two good friends navigating the vaporetto system through the canals in Venice to get me to the hospital (what is an overseas vacation without a medical episode?)

The Chagall stained glass windows in the Fraumuenster in Zurich.

The vineyards spilling down steep lakeshore terraces to the edges of Lake Geneva.

The burned stuff at the bottom of the fondue pot.

Michelangelo.

And then, when I thought I couldn't possibly see anything more glorious than the wonders of Zurich, Geneva, Fribourg, Como, Menaggio and Florence and Venice . . .

. . .  I came home to a deep, drenching rain soaking my gardens.  The first real rain in a long dry summer of unusual drought. 

It was a glory to rival those of the Alps, the Renaissance and untold centuries of art and history. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a brilliant trip ... except for the rushed trip to the hospital and the burned stuff at the bottom of the fondue pot ... which I'm hoping didn't cause another trip to the hospital!!! So many wonderful events and experiences ... and then the rain when you returned home! That's fantastic as well ... there's nothing more glorious than rain after a long, long dry spell. Glad you've arrived back safe and sound ... and now we can see more of your great garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel the same way if we would get some rain. I can't wait to hear about your trip. I hope you have recovered from whatever ailed you enough to make a hospital run in a foreign country. Glad you are home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I hope you're feeling better.

    Ah yes, rain. Isn't it glorious? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, sounds like heaven, Laurrie. Welcome back!

    (Lake Como? Did you see George Clooney? :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the welcome back. George Clooney was at his home in Bellagio when we were there, according to the fan mags. We went right by his home... but no sighting!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.