February 2, 2010

Stumped

I don't usually find things by the side of the road and bring them home.  My brother in law does, and my sister's spirit flags each time he takes their trash to the town dump and comes roaring back into the driveway 20 minutes later yelling excitedly "Honey get the truck".

But on my walk today I found the remains of the big old Eastern cottonwood that died at the edge of the road behind us and was dismantled by the town.  Road crews cut it up a long time ago and hauled away the branches and debris, but for the first time I spotted this remaining hunk of trunk, lying on its side by the road.

I thought it would be a nice naturalistic ornament for my gardens, since Jim has now banned me from any more gnomes, tchotchkes, fairy houses, butterfly statues or fake anythings in our yard, as the stuff is starting to scare him.

But this would be nice, set up on its end.  How to get it home?  It was way too heavy to carry.  I didn't think I could get it in the back of my car.  I don't have a truck.  So I rolled it, end over end, and along its twisted barrel.  Crouch, squat, roll, heave.

When I got to the top of the rise I kicked it, and it rumbled unevenly down the slope on its own.  More crouching and squatting, more rolling it along, and I got it home and into a nice spot in the frozen garden.  And to think, gardening is portrayed in magazines as an activity with a trowel and a pot in a cute pair of Sloggers. 

What do you think?  Something on top of it maybe?  A ceramic fairy? 

10 comments:

  1. You have a stout heart! When I was a child I schlepped a HUGE piece of driftwood home 3/4 of a mile from the river. I couldn't do that today though. Your stump is lovely and you'll always have a great story attached to it.
    Cindee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindee. A story and an aching back, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stump is lovely and it has some provenance to it as well. Gardening *is* hard work, not just carrying around clippers and a pretty basket (although those are great days :))

    BTW: I read through some of your previous posts and grinned the whole time. Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome Garden Ms. S!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurrie, what a delightful find, both your stump and your blog! We love found objects of art, natural and manmade with some patina to them. There are any number of items that would look at home on the stump. I am sure you will find the perfect item. Then change it. HA :-)
    Frances
    BTW, I have linked to your blog in my latest post about repotting Paphiopedilums at the end. Jodi of Bloomingwriter suggested we feature new to us blogs to help spread the wealth and I love yours. Hope that is okay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurrie, I have pop over from Fairegarden. I love your stump. However if you saw my garden you would find that I have several "finds" here. I think they give the garden a lived in look. Much better than chachke of which I have lots. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurrie, this is so timely. We have been cutting up a huge maple that blew down in the summer at our house. One of pieces was so beautiful, that it is sitting near the garden, waiting to be placed in the spring(when I can find an empty spot).
    I think that I will use mine to raise up a potted plant for the summer, this way I can get some variation in height. My garden is still so new, that a lot of my shrubs are quite short.
    Welcome to the blogging world, it is so much fun, and other bloggers are just lovely.
    P.S. I found you through Frances, she is such a love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I started here and read backwards or I might have been intimidated by your first post! What a woman! But someone after my own heart, schlepping home tree stumps. In my case it's rocks, which can also be very heavy. Frances at Fairegarden lured me over here, for which I am grateful.
    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frances, thanks for posting my new site on your blog. Visitors are coming over here, even as I'm still designing everything and messing with the layout. It's like having guests at the house while it's under construction ... but everyone's encouragement is inspiring me to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa and Deborah and Anonymous: I'm so pleased you found your way over here from fairegarden. Thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about requiring code verification -- I experimented with turning it off to make commenting easier, and I got too much spam. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and to type in silly codes. I appreciate hearing from you.